1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Suburban: brights don't work correctly and headlights stay on.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Magadith, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Magadith

Magadith New Member

Hey guys. I hope someone here can answer my question or point me in the right direction.

I bought a 97 Suburban. The switch for the headlamps is missing and was replaced with a toggle switch for the parking/gauge lights. Also the the light icon for the brights are on but not sure if my brights are on or its the standard headlights because the headlamp lens has yellowed. I guess it would help to say its the outer lamps are on, but I cant get the inner lamps on. Also my headlamps don't turn off at all unless the Burb is turned off.

any suggestions?
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GM truck club Mag. About the only thing I can tell you is that the outer lights are the low beams. The rest is a real gray area because the previous owner obviously messed around with the wireing (toggle switches etc) so a wireing diagram may not help you much. If you have any mech ability, you should probably just start investigating.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

And if possible look into getting a new switch and possibly the pig tail with some wire left so you can put the harness back to the way it is supposed to be.
  4. Magadith

Magadith New Member

the plan is for me to go to the junk yard to find a witch and some other things as well.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Let us know how it turns out.
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

A switch will be a good start Mag, but before you install it, be sure & unhook all the haywires & extra toggle switches that the previous owner put in there. There's no telling how he has everything wired & it could burn out your new switch, & fry a lot of the wireing if you just plug it it & turn it on.
  7. Magadith

Magadith New Member

So I found the switch I need at a junk yard. Only just 1 but it works. Everything seems to be working fine now. I just want to know now if its normal that you can't turn off the running lights?
  8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

yes, unless u pull the fuse for them..but then the little green light in the dash stays on all the time untill u turn the headlights on !!!
  9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

he ment the daytime running lights..they are on as soon as engine is turned on !!