1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

97 Suburban clunk.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by cjspga, Mar 18, 2013.

1. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Hi Guy's,
    Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 97 Suburban, runs fine, has 211,000 miles on it.

When I put it in 4wd high or low it sets off fine but after maybe 30-40ft there is a huge/loud "clunk" that you can feel in the floor. Feels like it is the front left ??? once it has "clunked" i can keep moving and it is fine until about the same distance and then it does it again - etc etc.

It is fine when coasting or going backwards in 4x4 but going forwards under load their is this alarming clunk every now and then. I can shift back into 2wd and everything is just fine.

Anyone any ideas? Took it to the dealer and got the usual run-around and wanted to charge me $200 to pull the fluid out of the transfer box to see if it had metal in it, I figured I could do that for a quarter of the price - but haven't yet.

Any clues, whats it likely to be?

Thanks - Chris.