1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Suburban Dies twice in 2 days and restarts immediately, need some help!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by lexisdad1201, Dec 20, 2010.

1. lexisdad1201

lexisdad1201 New Member

Ok, both times the vehicle was stopped and turned off for a minute or so. Then I restarted and put the vehicle into gear and hit the gas and dies after moving a few feet. I put it back into park and turn the key and she fires right up. First time in reverse, then today in drive. Today after it died the electrical system seemed to be pulsing. all the lights and the voltage gauge were pulsing. I turned the key off and then started it right up and drove fine with no problems. I have 14 volts on the voltage gauge and no corrosion on the battery connections. I'm thinking bad ICM or bad ground. This is a 97 5.7 ltr vortec. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fpr within the past year. I don't have any other issues and no CEL came on. Has this happened to you? Do you know what might be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Start with the main chassis ground which is from your main ground on the battery... That is the usual culprit. Ive also heard there is a ground strap on the rear of the pass side head. something else to check. There is most likely nothing wrong with the PCM, i would lean heavly twards a bad ground cable, and possibly the main power cable to the junction box as well as the Alt...
  3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

^ I AGREE ^

and this happened to me last year..it was the main power wire to the junktion box !!!

But it shure could be any of the above !!
  4. lexisdad1201

lexisdad1201 New Member

Ok, so the power wire that goes across the upper radiator shroud and into the back of the fuse/relay box? I looked over it previously, but I'll dig a little deeper. If it's that then it's only 8 ft of 8ga power wire and a spade terminal. That'll be an easy fix. I was hoping it wasn't the Ignition Control Module. The alternator going out would still let the truck run off the battery for a little bit, so I wasn't worried about the alternator. I will also check the main ground strap from the battery to the frame. Thanks and keep any suggestions coming.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I was talking about the cables that run to the alt. and the chassis ground on the pass side of the motor on the frame rail. alot of people have problems with that one. also the cables themselves rot out and corrode and carry current intermittently.
  6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

NO, not that power wire..on mine it was on the bottom of the fuseblock the one that feeds the ECM !!! the main 8 foot long had nothing..( THAT WOULD BE TO EASY !!)

But i am not saying this is your problem tho...
    the e module would be easy ..

maybe a fuel related issue too ??

Thats it, i bet its fuelpump related or such....at start up u get pressure and then u hit the gas and the pressure goes bye bye..DIES.
    U restart ( pump builds up press again and it runs )

I realy think its a fuel issue !!

A short or something in the fuel pump / relay wiring !!??
    That kind of makes sense...IMO
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. lexisdad1201

lexisdad1201 New Member

Well, it hasn't done it again and unless it goes out I have no way to test the fuel pressure. I'll keep an eye out for all these things.
  8. lexisdad1201

lexisdad1201 New Member

Well, it finally did it again. Popped the hood and wiggled the ground wire at the battery and she came back to life. Seems like corrosion or loose connection at the ground so I will be changing that out. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.