1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

97 Suburban shakes bad at 65mph when towing

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BuckeyeBandit, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BuckeyeBandit

BuckeyeBandit New Member

I have a 97 suburban k1500 i use to tow my 14ft tandem axle trailer with 2 big size quads on it. The Suburban will shake so bad from 65-75mph you would think something is going to break. The feeling seems to becoming from the rear of the truck. And you dont feel any vibration in steering. So i balanced the tires and had the u-joints replaced, thinking it was one of the two that was causing it. Well i was wrong because it never changed at all. But when i dont have the trailer on the truck rides smooth as it should be.
    Could the problem be the sag im getting when i hook up the trailer? it sags bad when i put the trailer on maybe causing drive line to be out of align?

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you considered that the problem might be in the trailer? A vibration, from the rear, that only shows up while towing suggests to me that the problem might be a vibration in the trailer. Check trailer tires for balance and condition, suspension, wheel bearings (my father-in-law says that most of the trailers you see broken down on the side of the road are for neglected wheel bearings), trailer braKes, and such to see if there are any problems.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i would think the trailer, especially since its tandem axle it really shouldnt be putting that much weight on the tongue of the truck(unless you are putting the weight at the front of the trailer) the trailer axles should be taking the weight on a tandem axle, not the truck, the truck should be pulling the weight. I have put a plymouth breeze on a uhaul tandem trailer and my truck barely squats in the back.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  4. BuckeyeBandit

BuckeyeBandit New Member

I have considered it to be the trailer. So i did put in new wheelbearings, brakes, and tires on the trailer. I also hooked it up to my old Suburban and it didnt shake at all. Im just lost.