1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 tahoe fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by kevinj, Apr 21, 2005.

1. kevinj

kevinj New Member

hello , new to this forum. i am looking for some info on replacing my fuel pump for my 97 2wd tahoe. i was quoted 400 from a repair shop. how difficult is this repair? thanks kevin
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

TANK WILL HAVE TO BE DROPPED. TAKES ABOUT 5 HOURS FOR TOTAL JOB. NOT EASY.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Not like the old days of replacing a fuel pump on a 350. :-(
  4. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

Nope them days is gone. I have actually seen that fuel pump replaced on the ground in about 45 minutes(not even on a lift). If you have never done one before it will take about 5 hours. You must push the filler neck out of the truck so you can disconnect from the tank. Have tank as empty as possible, put truck on jack stands and lower the tank down with a jack. Snap ring on top of tank comes off, remove old pump assembly, put vaseline on new o ring and re-install.

* 2000-2002 1500's have a re-call on that pump. The parts will be available in November. If you have replaced one already GM will reimburse.
  5. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Member Platinum Contributor

Do they reimburse for the labor and parts?
  6. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

As long as you have a receipt for both you should be fine
  7. rbruce

rbruce New Member

Bit late on a response to this, for if you have the problem, you need to address it pronto. I've had two go out on my 96. $400 sounds right. First one was under warranty, the second, about 3000 miles past warranty.

I now change the fuel filter every other oil change.

Would like to know if anyone has retro fitted to eliminate the in tank pump. Not a great design for a 4by. I know not many people really use theirs off-road, but for those of us that bought it to use it, a trail changable fuel pump would be nice.
  8. bocajapache

bocajapache New Member

I have heard about the fuel pumps going on on mid-late 90's on this engine. Is it true that if you never let your fuel tank drop under a 1/4 of a tank, that this will keep the fuel pump from messing up? TRUE/FALSE?
    If you need to buy a new fuel pump I would get it here www.gmpartsclub.com
  9. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

rbruce............I think you could safely put an electric fuel pump midline for a back up. Just make sure you have the fuel pressure regulated correctly. The fuel guage may or may not work either, but offroad who cares.

apache.....when your tank gets below 1/4 full your fuel pump will become pretty noisy. Keeping that fuel pump completely submersed (1/4 to 1/2 full) is certainly better for it, but may not guarantee it won't fail.