1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 tahoe fuel system problem.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mcgilla, May 25, 2011.

1. mcgilla

mcgilla New Member

[FONT=&quot]I have a 1997 Tahoe with a fuel system problem. I have traced it down to the control box under the hood. From there back is solid. I removed the fuel relay and jumped the circuit and the pump works fine, what controls the relay?[/FONT]
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

a little more info would help....did you check the relay ? and the ECM controls the relay as far as i know thru the sensors and all on the EFI system !
    what does it do , or doesnt ...i should say .....I mean what is your problem ?
  3. mcgilla

mcgilla New Member

[FONT=&quot]Sorry for the lack of info. I replaced the fuel pump about 2 weeks ago. Today the fuel pump left me stranded. So I got the truck home and started at the fuel pump and worked my way back to the relay switch. I have no fuel pressure and no power getting to the pump. From the tank to the relay is in good shape, new pump. new relay switch but from there I don’t know wear to look? [/FONT]
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have a wiring diagram (even the one in Chiltons should show enough of the fuel pump circuit to work with)? The PCM closes the relay to turn the pump on and off. If you know the problem is at the relay, then the next step would be to determine if the PCM is telling the relay to close or if the relay is not responding to the PCM command.
  5. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

Try reseting the computer. I have heard of this happening and I belive that by unhookin the battery for a few min to reset the computer fixes the problem. Try that first.

Good luck
  6. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you checked for a signal from the ECM at the fuel pump relay, also not impossible to get a defective relay, if you still have the old relay give it a try.
    Last edited: May 31, 2011