1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Z71 4x4 jerking in overdrive

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by eatinmustangs, Aug 14, 2010.

1. eatinmustangs

eatinmustangs New Member

first time to this forum so hang with me. The problem is the trans is jerking in overdrive I though bad tranny full replacement there. same problem some said nuetral safty switch indicator replaced that sensor. still same problem.. also replaced the transfer case as I was told the gears was slipping in it. so the trans and transfer case are all new and new sensors every where still same problem. Would you believe now the chevy dealer mechanics say its my new engine.lol any ways seems my ENG-1 fuse keeps blowing having troubles finding out what it goes to any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not really enough info to accurately diagnose this one, I see it's a 97 4x4 but what else have you done to the truck?
    Has it been regeared?
    Do you have larger tires?
    Any aftermarket engine additions?
    Was anything changed just prior to the problem starting? Like maybe new larger tires or new gears?
  3. eatinmustangs

eatinmustangs New Member

I changed the wheels and tires went from 16s with 225 70 16 to 245 50 20's with 20 inch rims from a newer 2004 chevy z71. no gear changes other than the wheels and tires
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

IS the CEL on??? Also have they done a sweep test on the Throttle position sensor? Also what did they do with the distributor (is it the original or new?) Next what are you running for plugs and wires?
    When you had the stock tires on did it run/drive better? Also what gear ratio are you running (search RPO codes that will give you a good rundown on gear ratio)
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

According to my wiring diagram (downloaded from the vehicle repair guides at autozone.com, which is the same as the Chiltons DIY manual, so it isn't hard to come by), the ENG-1 fuse feeds the O2 sensor heaters, the camshaft position sensor, and the MAF. I could certainly see the CMP (and the MAF to a lesser extent) causing a misfire. If it were me, I'd probably pursue trying to figure out why that fuse is blowing.