Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

98 K1500 5.7L Suburban Rear Main Seal Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Caddiac, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Looks like the rear main oil seal is hemorrhaging. I have kept an eye on it for a while now. But have seen a dramatic increase in oil loss recently. I have seen single piece and two piece oil seals sold for this engine. Do any of you guys know if the seal used in the 5.7L of the late 90's was two piece or one piece?

2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Member

all sbc 87 and newer had 1 piece rear seals, bbc went to 1 piece in 91 along with the 6.2/6.5

3. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Should be one piece...

4. TMair

TMair Member

And that sucks, two piece are a piece of cake to change compaired to one piece, good luck.
    Terry

5. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Talked to a local garage today that is highly recommended. The guy discouraged me from doing it because he said I would spend a lot of money and it may still leak. If I furnish the seal, I told him I would because I have a thing of GM OEM parts, he quoted me $400. What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable price and what would you do? The engine runs great and I would not hesitate to drive it to the west coast and back tomorrow. The only issue is it leaks oil to the point I usually need to add a quart between changes. I have never seen smoke come out of the exhaust on this truck. I do plan to have the compression checked before the oil seal replacement just in case. But regardless, the engine runs too good to need an overhaul or replacement. I am thinking I have at least another 100K which would put me at 350,000.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

At the price he quoted you it's worth gambling on.
    It's hard to find and replace a good truck and you know you'll pay a heck of a lot more to replace the truck.
    I always say better the devil you know than the one you dont know.

7. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Try it yourself nothing to it ..drop drive shaft.. Pry old seal out.. Make sure you clean all good .. Check for burrs ect. On drive shaft.
    Start new seal in ..get a flat board ect. Peck it in till flush.. Reinstall shaft your done.

8. TMair

TMair Member

I think it is the rear main oil seal in the engine, not the transmission.
    To change the rear main oil seal you would need to remove the transmission and the flex plate/flywheel, and you may have to lower the oil pan, I would think $400.00 would be a great price.
    Terry

9. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My bad ..... the main rear seal ... now that is a horse of a different color. 400 is a great price. I would watch.. do not see a garage of any rep doing this.

10. TMair

TMair Member

And that is good advise, I would also make sure, perhaps in writing, that they warrenty their work.
    Terry