1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 K2500 fuel pump question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by KnightRider, Jan 21, 2008.

1. KnightRider

KnightRider New Member

I have a 98 Suburban K2500 4X4 with 454.

I'm on my second in tank fuel pump and I'm really not looking forward to the hassle and expense of changing it out.

I was wondering if I would have to remove the in tank fuel pump if I decided to go with an external pump.
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

the old pump will cause the new external pump to run harder and may die sooner than needed. why not cut an access hole in the bed area above the tank and put a removable trap door over the hole. this way open the access panel dissconect the fuel lines and level wires and the lock ring then lift out the pump unit and swap as needed. i got a Bosh "Gold" unit and not issues for almost a year and 20000 miles so far......mike
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The old jeep Wagoner’s had that trap door made right in, and I have done that exact trap door repair on many other vehicles. It saves a lot of headaches.

Just cut the hole with an air chisel, with the pannel cutting tool, looks like three fingers, makes a nice cut and doesn’t create any sparks. Now you will have to make the trap door a little larger than the hole to seal it nicely.