1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'98 Pontiac sunfire sending unit ~ opinions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by TrailLeadr, Apr 22, 2009.

1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My daughter's 1998 Pontiac Sunfire has developed a hole in the tank. Now let me take a step back and explain my thinking here. She's not really driven it much for me to get an idea of the kind of driver she will be. However I suspect she's going to be one of those kids who drives until the tank is bone dry.

So I figured since I'm going to be pulling the tank and putting in a new one, why not give the sending unit float bar a little bend in the upright direction so that the tank actually reads lower than it really is. I'm sure she'd catch on to this after a time, but maybe until then she wouldn't be driving it until it's dry.
    The less frequent I have to go bail her out on the side of the road because of no gas the better I like it, plus it's all the better for the fuel pump, blah blah blah.

So what are some of your thoughts. Do it? or any reasons you can think why I really shouldn't do this?
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ah missleading your children...a favourite pass time of my own. :great:

I have tried that myself but in the opposite direct (cuz I was tired of it reading wrong.)
    I would only have to say that the pick-up is in the same location...so empty is empty LOL

I say go for it! (Since your going into tank anyway)
  3. TrailLeadr

Well true, but I'm hoping she pays some mind to the gauge, rather than be oblivious to it.
  4. TrailLeadr

Ya know how they say that your tank has a certain amount of reserve fuel in it even when the needle hits E. I used the fuel pump to drain the tank, and when the pump started sucking air I let it run for about 20min more just to be sure it drained the tank as much as possible. I had the car on as level angle as possible, and when I pulled the tank and poured the remaining fuel out, this much came out.

This is about 1-1/2 gallons. It's in one of those big cheese ball containers that you buy from the wholesale stores like BJ's, Costco, or Sams. Also this tank didn't even have a maze in it, just a baffle about the middle of the tank.

[​IMG]

Seems like a waste, because you'll never get to use that fuel unless you were constantly headed uphill, maybe then you could use most of it.
    Granted I know you should never let your tank run that low, but I was just suprised to see how much fuel is left behind that the pick-up can't access.

I drained fuel from another tank that was to be a donor tank, this one with a maze inside, and still the same amount of fuel. (was a year newer)