98 s10 | Tranny Help | My first vehicle(17)

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Sonoma, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Sonoma

Sonoma New Member

I bought this Sonoma last year for $500 when I turned 16.
    It has been sitting at my brother in laws garage since(He's really lazy)
    We bought the wrong transmission and never bothered with it.
    My friend in study hall told me they made three types those few years, we just happened to buy the wrong one.
    I was hoping some one could tell me exactly what I need to buy, we have a good transfer case from the previous owner.
    As you can tell I don't have that much knowledge on this sorta stuff, just lookin for some help.

24484_119201388093268_100000102223349_312355_5045348_n.jpg

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Alright well first what motor/tranny etc does it have? ie: auto/manual? if it is an auto you will be able to use a 4L60E from a 96-99 S-10 Blazer, or S-10 or Sonoma. Just ensure that it is for a 4wd and you will be good to go. If it is a manual the same years will work as well.

3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Looks like Murdog has you on the right track with that one.. Side note, thats a badass lookin truck for 500 bucks! Wish i could find a deal like that around here lol.. i need something a lil higher up off the ground than Truck Norris is for goin hunting and all the redneck stuff us Texans do around here haha.

4. Sonoma

Sonoma New Member

Well it is an auto I know that much and I appreciate the help, I now see why you have 8,000 posts. I heard some one say that type "4L60E". I'll start pricing from places in my area and hopefully get it in within one day with some help from friends.