1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 silverado 4x2 4l60e tranny

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by gortega, May 10, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. gortega

gortega New Member

Hi everyone!

I really need your feedback or opinion on this.
    I have a 1998 chevy silverado with a 4l60e tranny. As of recently, the check engine light comes on. I check the code with my scanner. I have a P1870 twice? I notice that this light comes on after pulling my trailer, or getting off the highway without pulling the trailer.

I clear the code(s) and it runs fine. I have read a lot on this code and contacted my local transmission shops. I don't trust them. They quote me $1800 to $2500 to repair this problem, as they say "your transmission is slipping, time to rebuilt it"

help me please.
  2. gortega

gortega New Member

It has about 80k miles on it.
  3. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the club...
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. How heavy is the trailer you tow? Have you looked at your trans fluid to see if its brown or burnt smelling?
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

*********thread moved here***********
  7. gortega

gortega New Member

I have checked the fluid, neither - not brown or smells burnt........ about 4500 lbs when loaded, empty around 800 lbs .... I haven't had the light turn on when pulling the trailer empty..... I was thinking the tranny was getting hot, thought about buying a transmission cooler
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you don't have a trans cooler other than the one that flows through the radiator than I would add the biggest one you can fit on the truck.
  9. gortega

gortega New Member

I bought a transmission cooler over the weekend. I read the vague instruction, can anyone help?
    Does it matter which line goes where on the cooler.
    I was a little confuse.
    What did figure out was that I was going to place the top line of the radiator transmission to the tranny cooler but then notice that fitting were too small to fit on the radiator?? Any tranny cooler recommendations or all standard?