1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 Silverado engine and tranny

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chevytrucknutzo, Jul 15, 2012.

1. chevytrucknutzo

chevytrucknutzo New Member

So about 6 months ago my step kid brought home a fixeruppper. He bought it from his employer for 500 bucks with the intent of fixingit up. Well it looks like this project is going to be a little more than somebody work and paint. Like I originally thought. We took it for a spin it ran okbut felt like it lacked a bit of power and the tranny felt like it wasslipping. Got it back home. It has the original engine and tranny with 300kmiles on it. It’s leaking everything. I believe this engine either needs to berebuilt or replaced as well as the tranny. The kid wants to "do itright" and does not care if it takes him a few years to get it on theroad. So I think we are going to replace the entire drive train front to back.I explained to him he is going to put way more money into it than its worth. Hesays he knows and is not planning on selling it. Would we be better off havingthis engine rebuilt, buying a long block and replacing things such as thestarter as needed or buying a turnkey engine? What about the tranny? Rebuild orbuy new? The truck has a 5.7 and he is not intrested in hopping it up he justwants to have a nice truck!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Keep an eye out on craigslist. You can even set up searches so you're notified when something is posted. I lot of people sell parts from vehicles that are totaled and you can occasionally find items that have recently been rebuilt. Let someone else's loss be your gain. I just bought a factory rebuilt transfer case for $500 cash- saved me $400-$600 and I know it will last for as long as I have the car. If you have the time to patient, keep checking the ads. You can even set up searches for multiple areas within a certain radius of where you live.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep Craigslist may be your best friend here, if you watch close enough you might be able to score a running pull out from a wrecked truck thats cheap enough.
    Also look locally at shops advertising remanufactured engines and trans, I think with some careful shopping and a little patience you could get the eng/trans for less than a $1000 if you guys do the labor.
    Rebuilding an engine now days normally runs more than a remanned engine.
    You will have to use your accessories. This is the perfect chance to help him learn and keep him busy.
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

What these guys said ^^