1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 silverado?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Cros89, Nov 15, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Cros89

Cros89 New Member

hey guys just a few questions...

i will be soon buying a 97 silverado. its not a Z71, i dont know what model it is... its got 107,000 on the clock and is in pretty good condition... it is a 4wd and has a V8 though i do know that, oh, and i know its blue, lol.

i just wanna know if there is any well known problems with these years of silverados or anything i can expect. and this truck is going to be used for commuting, some regular, but not too extreme off roading(so how big of a lift, tires etc....), and hauling my motorcycle around, because i stunt ride motorcycles...

as of now im thinkin sonewhere in the range of 3-5 inch lift and probably some 33's or 35's. obviously i dont want it to be too huge because i have to get my bike in and out of the bed...

any help is appreciated thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. Cros89

Cros89 New Member

one other thing for the offroad use... should i also invest in some detroit lockers or some sort of limited slip diff?
  3. raisor87

raisor87 New Member 100 Posts

I have a 95 4wd and a 98 2wd and they are by far the toughest trucks I've ever owned I cant kill my old 95 and I have tried so I think you'll be fine with your new truck, and it sounds like your on the right track with the lift and tires. Good luck
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

agreed they are pretty tough trucks!
    if your going to be putting a bike in the back i would reccomed a 4 inch lift w 33's

if your doing any off roading IMO i would say get a loccer .. Detroit is a good brand, along w eaton, . im drawing a blank on any others .. sorry

keep us posted on your decision :great:

:sign0016:
  5. Cros89

Cros89 New Member

alright good deal. i just realized that i put 98 in the title and its really a 97... but whatever, im glad to hear that its gonna be pretty tough! who are some good companies that make lifts for not a small fortune? im just a collage kid so im not exactly rolling in money but im not broke either i guess.... and im not gonna just get a body lift...
  6. 04sierracrewcab

i saw that too lol

well rough counrty is an inexpensive lift .. their shocks are horrible .
    fabtech,superlift,rubicon express,skyjacker are all good lifts.. lemme see if i can get cha a link .............
  7. 04sierracrewcab

8. dutzowmo

dutzowmo New Member 100 Posts

Good Truck, I used to own a 97 Sold it with 180,000 miles and it still ran like new. My neighbor had same truck with 300 000 miles and neither of us ever had any problems.
  9. Cros89

Cros89 New Member

would the skyjacker 2.5 inch lift even be worth it? will it atleast make a little bit of difference? just wondering because its alot cheaper... and could i fit 33's or 35's with it still being function able?
  10. Cros89

Cros89 New Member

what are so bad about the rough country shocks?? what if i bought that lift (cheaper) then bought some other brand of shocks... like skyjacker or something? or do i not wanna do that?

oh yea... does this truck come with a 15 or 16 inch wheel? what are some good tires and/or wheels to get for not alot of cash also? probably 33's or 35's...
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008