GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

98 suburban leak.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by chuck-tattoo, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chuck-tattoo

chuck-tattoo New Member

hey folks i`m new here..live in ontario canada...good to see so many fellow suburban people in one place........i seem to have a leak on the passengers side of my 98 suburban....leaks oout of the fan housing....but its not coolant....i`ve read a few places this has happened to others....but no answers to why.....is there a drain or something there on near to plug up?...of i`m thinking it might be just the windshield....any thoughts?....also is there a suburban used parts section?...looking for a winch bumper or tube bumpers...cheers
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

If its not coolant it could be tranny fluid or engine oil. They all flow through the radiator. What color is the fluid? It could also be windshield washer fluid, the bottle is up front on the driver side.
  3. chuck-tattoo

chuck-tattoo New Member

sorry Boonduff,.......forgot to mention....its inside on the passenger side....drips onto the floor.....and its not the heater core....it water, not coolant...so i`m wondering if theres a drain somewhere thats plugged....and it running inside....antone know if theres any drains up around there?....
  4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

yeah sounds like your HVAC drain is clogged.... Should be able to see it in the engine compartment.....
  5. chuck-tattoo

chuck-tattoo New Member

hey thanks Joeairforce.....where abouts am i looking for it ?...it a line, hose?...at the firewall?...
  6. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Should be somewhere under the blower motor IIRC... Should just look like a short piece of hose..... Been a while since I've worked on that body style though....
  7. chuck-tattoo

chuck-tattoo New Member

so i think i`ve fixed te problem.....under the windshield where the wiper trans is....is where the intake for fresh air is, i unsealed the panel over it...and put water in around it and sure enough it filled the blower motor compartment...so i bought rubberized sealer sprayed all around it and inside....seams where the intake goes through to the outside, it has a foam seal....it leaked like crazy there.....so with that done i resealed the access panel in on top of it and resprayed water to test it....so far so good......so fingers crossed thats the end of that.....
  8. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Sweet. :great:
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

The drain tube is located near where the heater hoses go through the firewall. Just a little pop-in rubber elbow.