Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'98 Suburban Pitman arm R&R

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MrShorty, Jan 22, 2011.

1. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I need to change my pitman and idler arms. Idler arm appears simple enough. My question is about changing the Pitman arm on this truck. Haynes says to just pull the pitman arm off of the steering gear with a pitman arm puller (after detaching the relay rod). However, on this year, there's a big piece of frame right below the steering gear/pitman arm that would prevent me from attaching the puller. Chiltons says to unbolt the steering gear from the frame if necessary. I guess I'm looking for any experience with this that can help me get at it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MrShorty

A bump, because I know someone out there has to have changed a pitman arm on these, as often as they seem to go bad.

3. MrShorty

One last bump to see if anyone has any thoughts.

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Mr Shorty, I saw this posted on here a couple months ago by someone who didn't have the room for a puller on his either. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but he took a 2 foot steel rod & hammer & broke his pitman arm loose from the top. From above, he struck the edge of the arm on one side (the rounded portion close to the shaft, not the arm) & on the 2nd strike from the opposite side it broke loose.
    I would r&i the steering box & use the puller if it was mine, but is an idea that worked for him because he didn't want to take the box loose.

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I didnt respond because its been about 10 years since I had to pull one of those off in that setup (used to work in a front end shop for about 8 months) and couldnt quite remember how I did them. Probably did it by unbolting the steering box to get room in there, which sounds about right. Sorry the memories not always the best.

6. MrShorty

I appreciate the comments, guys. I finally found someone on another site who had done this, and it does sound like the best approach is to unbolt the steering gear from the frame so you can rotate it around to get at the pitman arm.