98 tahoe lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by USMCRay, May 27, 2008.

1. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

I have a 98 tahoe with a 3 inch body lift and 33/12.50/17s. I want to go with 35s and was wondering would they fit or do I need to do a suspension lift. Also will 35/ 15.50 be too much for a 9 inch wheel?

2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

35's should be fine on a 9 inch wheel but what do you have for gears? With 35's you would probably want at least 4.56. I am not sure if 35's will fit with a 3 inch body lift, but a kid I know put 35's on a stock 1500 and was snapping CV shafts like crazy. I think you need to do some upgrades to drivetrain and possibly suspension if you don't want it to be a hack job and want it to be reliable.

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ah, another fellow resident of Louisiana. I'm just around the corner from you in Slidell. I agree with 95TC about upgrading the drivetrain. 33s is about as far as I'd go in stock drivetrain.

4. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

I am looking at Mickey Thompson MTZ 315/70/17. Right now I have 33/12.50/17 with the 3 inch body lift and my CV's are almost straight and it seems to still have a lot of power. Maybe get the leveling kit to gain 2 more inches to clear them. I love the look with 33's on there but as most people just want a little more. The truck will mostly be for highway use and an occasional offroad mud slinging.

5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the MTZ are a great tire and are not to loud on the road. i dont think the 35's will work with just your body lift. i would suggest finding another 3" suspension lift and then the 35's will fit and would look great. i think you should be ok on the stock drivetrain as long as you dont go to hard on it or go in the rocks. as for the 35/15.5, i would not go that big on the stock drivetrain that is a pretty big tire and would need at least a 10" wide rim