1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 tahoe lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by USMCRay, May 27, 2008.

1. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

I have a 98 tahoe with a 3 inch body lift and 33/12.50/17s. I want to go with 35s and was wondering would they fit or do I need to do a suspension lift. Also will 35/ 15.50 be too much for a 9 inch wheel?
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

35's should be fine on a 9 inch wheel but what do you have for gears? With 35's you would probably want at least 4.56. I am not sure if 35's will fit with a 3 inch body lift, but a kid I know put 35's on a stock 1500 and was snapping CV shafts like crazy. I think you need to do some upgrades to drivetrain and possibly suspension if you don't want it to be a hack job and want it to be reliable.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ah, another fellow resident of Louisiana. I'm just around the corner from you in Slidell. I agree with 95TC about upgrading the drivetrain. 33s is about as far as I'd go in stock drivetrain.
  4. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

I am looking at Mickey Thompson MTZ 315/70/17. Right now I have 33/12.50/17 with the 3 inch body lift and my CV's are almost straight and it seems to still have a lot of power. Maybe get the leveling kit to gain 2 more inches to clear them. I love the look with 33's on there but as most people just want a little more. The truck will mostly be for highway use and an occasional offroad mud slinging.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the MTZ are a great tire and are not to loud on the road. i dont think the 35's will work with just your body lift. i would suggest finding another 3" suspension lift and then the 35's will fit and would look great. i think you should be ok on the stock drivetrain as long as you dont go to hard on it or go in the rocks. as for the 35/15.5, i would not go that big on the stock drivetrain that is a pretty big tire and would need at least a 10" wide rim