98 Tahoe shimmy

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Shover56, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Shover56

Shover56 New Member

Have a shimmy problem with our 98 Tahoe. Doesn't seem to shimmy all the time comes and goes. First noticed this 3 weeks ago and replace both lower ball joints, seems only 1 was starting to go bad. Two days later shimmy comes back, so we replaced both tie rod ends (inner and outer). Drive it 5 miles without a problem on our way back shimmy starts again. Rotated front tires to back to make sure it's not a bad tire still not the problem. Since we've replaced tie rods and ball joints steering is tighter and not a lot of play in the wheel at all. Upper ball joints seem to be fine have been replaced as well. My question is Idler arm or pitman arm gone bad? Not the typical symptoms of steering play and tire wear although before the lower ball joints and tie rod ends it did like to wander a little. Shimmy seems to involve entire vehicle but seems to come from the front end not for sure what side. Any solutions?

2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 New Member

Hey...I'm searching for results of similar symptoms as well. I have a 99 4x4 4dr Tahoe and my pass side front tire outer edge is wearing, the rest are good, but there is a shimmy in the 65-75mph range, even on brand new paved straight roads. Noticed it bad Friday night coming back from school, and nothing today driving around (below 60mph). Any clues ? Read something about shocks so that's the first thing I'm looking at doing since they prolly need it (I work in DC). Next step I was looking at was a rotation and alignment, and have them inspect the front suspension while its in the air. I usually do all my own work minus alignments ;)

3. Shover56

Shover56 New Member

Well I happened to notice that the rotor would move back and forth on the driverside, seems like it was loose and would rock. Anyways I replaced the 2 bolts on the caliper and for 3 weeks not one shimmy. The truck is back to the shimmy so I plan to replace the caliper itself since its the original, seemed to get somewhere with the bolts. What seems to happen is the caliper isn't tight with the rotor and causes the rotor to shimmy just enough to cause a vibration. I will post more once I replace the caliper this weekend.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. If the idler and pitman arm are factory original, there bad!! I'm sure your '98 has over 100,000 miles on it.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on the idler and pitman arms. I had a shimmy in my 95'. It turned out to be the idler and pitman arms worn. Changed them and have not shimmied since. I would also check out the control arm bushings.