1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 trans swap to 95

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Quad racer#212, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 New Member

Ok i have a 95 2wd with a bad 4l60e trans. I have a 98 2wd with a good 4l60e trans. Can I swap the 98 into the 95 and every thing work?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I can never remember all of the specifics, but a '95 4L60E seems to be it's own animal -- not readily swappable with other 4L60E's. The differences are in the valve body and in the electronic controls. It might be possible to coax other 4L60E's into a '95, but will not be "plug and play" easy if it's doable at all.

These guys seem to have a knowledge of the differences http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/gm_4l60e1995only.html in the valve bodies.

Good luck getting your '95 back on the road.
  3. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 New Member

MrShorty thaks im just going to have the trans built in a few weeks. Or may just give the 98 work
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Shorty's right

95 is the cross year for obd1 to obd2 changeover, the main difference is the pre 94 has no tcc pwm as it was vacuum modulated, 95 1/2 and up is controlled electronically by the tcc pwm solenoid. I did this changeover in my Firebird last year, the wiring harness is only 12 wires in your 95 harness and in the 98 it would be 13 wires. The 13th wire is brown and is ground wire for the torque converter aka tcc pwm (torque converter control pulse width modulation)

You would have to add the 13th wire in the valve body harness, and then all the way up to the ecm and pin it into the ecm connector. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but there is what worked for me as I drive the car everyday...
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I actually appreciate the heads up since i have a few buddies that run the 95 TBI motors, and have issues with their trannies from time to time, and have 96 up parts trucks but we have never done a tranny swap thanks to this difference.