1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 truck - Starting problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by philosofy1, Aug 16, 2011.

1. philosofy1

philosofy1 Member

I have had my 98 truck for alittle more than 2 years. Lately it's been giving me starting problems. If i drive the truck everyday I usually do not have any starting problems. If I let it sit for about a day it'll act up.

When it acts up, the motor will turn over, but with breaks in between. If I hold the key down to start it'll crank then a short pause then crank then pause and so on. I usually wait a few minutes to try again. After waiting, it'll crank again, but this time it'll fire up then turn off quickly, as if the security is turning off the fuel pump. After about 15 minutes of trying she will finally fire up and run. Usually after that it'll turn on fine until the next episode.

I have replaced the starter ( twice ), and my battery is fully charged, putting out 12+ on volts. I also had the security light come on a few times but turn off. Could this be the problem?

I would really like to solve the problem myself versus taking it to a shop.

Anybody out there encountered this problem before? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Sorry, I forgot the details of the truck.
    It's a 98 Chevy C1500, 5.7L Vortec motor.
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

My first thought is that you might have a faulty ignition switch. You'll need to remove the cover from the steering column and probe the wire terminals while it's acting up to be sure.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  3. philosofy1

philosofy1 Member

Thanks, will try and update!!
  4. themikeyjones

themikeyjones New Member

Philosofy1,
    Here's a great video on removing the ignition switch. I didn't produce it, but I wish I had watched it before I took mine apart. Would have saved me a few hours.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95UfgBD8Q0