1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 Z71 4L60E no 1st or OD when hot

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by cm98SILVER, Aug 15, 2009.

1. cm98SILVER

cm98SILVER New Member

I have a 98 Chevy Z71 4L60E and there is no 1st gear or OD after it heats up. I can manuallly shift thru the gears. When cold all gears are there, or after the truck has been turned off gears will shift for a couple of minutes. The diagnostic tool says "Shift Solenoid". How many are there, 2 or 4, and which one do I need, or should all be replaced? There was no code number that came up, just the words. Do I have to drop the pan, filter and valve body to get to the solenoids, where are they?

Transmission service, flush, drain, new filter has already been done.

THANKS!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There are 3 solenoids which give you 4 gears. Shift solenoid A is on in first and fourth. So if SSA is bad you loos first and fourth. It's probably not a bad idea to change all 3 but it's up to you. Changing SSA should corect the problem. Keep in mind a bad connection or wire in the harness can also cause this problem. Take a good look at the wires both inside and outside the trans.