1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99-06 silverado door check replacement

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by reggiecab2000, Dec 7, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

replaced mine after the driver side bushing went out and kept "popping" when i open or closed the door...
    only 3 bolts hold it all together, but you have to remove the door panel to get the old one out and the new one in. one bolt (visible), the other two bolts, underneath the rubber grommet in the picture, very easy job!
    before
    IMG_4147 (480x640).jpg

after
    IMG_4169 (480x640).jpg

before
    IMG_4149 (480x640).jpg

after
    IMG_4168 (640x480).jpg

new(left) old(right)
    IMG_4165 (640x480).jpg

the p.o.s. bushing that was dead
    IMG_4167 (640x480).jpg

only thing is.... the new ones are already creaking!!!
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

White lithium grease will lubricate the new hinge, and stop the creaking. Good job on the repair, I know you saved yourself some money in labor.
  3. BRB46

BRB46 Member

Nice write up. Is the replacement one OEM or an aftermarket one as the design is different.
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

it is an oem replacement, ive been looking at trucks door checks when i was pulling in cars at discount tire, and it seems all trucks after 02, came with this new "updated" design
  5. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

$71 bucks from the dealership... I did my driver door yesterday
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

quick update on this, my hinges have yet to stop creaking.... they never creaked with the old ones, just popped as the bushing was dead, but i have yet to see the day these hinges become quiet, very annoying...:grrrrrr:
  7. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

Mine don't creak, 250k, try some silicone spray or graphite spray...., WD40 will rinse off in the rain
  8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

already used some white lithium grease, but it doesnt get into the bushing eye because it is so tight...