99 5.7 no spark

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by infinitybuilders, May 9, 2010.

1. infinitybuilders

infinitybuilders New Member

Hello everyone I am new here and wanted to pick some brains.
    I have a 99 5.7 vortec van front 14' box truck.
    I have a problem of "NO Spark" from the coil.I have replaced the crank position sensor,ignition module,coil.cap and rotor.Checked all the fuses and all the wiring seems to be good "solid connection and no corrosion" Have good fuel pressure.Besides doing the cam position sensor.The check gauges light came on the last time it ran but all the gauges were reading normal.The only code that was thrown was the speed sensor. I don't know where to go from here.Has anyone had a similar problem or have any answers.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Have you looked into the ECM, and or checked for codes??

3. infinitybuilders

Only code was speed sensor and checked all the wires and connectors to the ECM all that looked good no corrosion other than than I don't know what else to do to test the ECM.

4. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I had the same problem with a 5.7l we had in a jeep, did everything and never could figure it out, throwing the same code and replace almost everything you listed and it DID turn out to be the ECM, but you could also have a problem with your wiring somewhere you couldnt see, I would recommend checking your wiring before you buy a new ECM, they can hurt the wallet sometimes.

5. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

if it's turning over or at least attempting to don't make the same mistake i did. replaced everything you did in my 99 tahoe and then went as far as buying a brand new distributor because everything else checked out even the ECM and it wound up being the plugs had gone bad. I replaced mine with E3 plugs and haven't had a problem since a friend of mine with a 99 silverado replaced the wires on his thinking one or more of them had gone bad and then I suggested the plugs just last week and that was his problem too. may not be that simple on your van but the plugs and even wires are still cheaper than an ECM. if you think it's the computer you can take it off and have advance or autozone check it out for you to be sure before having it replaced.

6. infinitybuilders

Since this is a van front the VCM or PCM is mounted under the hood on the drivers side firewall. There is a water/weather shield above it but that did not do it's job too well.The unit has a fair amount of corrosion and the bottom connector seems to have leaked at the seal and 3 pins have arced I'm going to clean them up and plug it back in but I'm thinking my VCM is toast.

7. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ouch keep us posted!

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sorry to hear that. hopefully there is a good junk yard in the area that has cheap parts.

9. infinitybuilders

PCM is in and all is fine.I purchased it from a company called spare ecm out of Ohio.They have been in business for 10 yrs.It is used but they full go through it first then they paint it and also program your VIN into it.Comes with a one year warranty and it was only $80 shipped unbelievable deal I would recommend them over and over.Thanks for all the help guys.