1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 5.7 rusted up cylinders

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by serealport, Jul 8, 2009.

1. serealport

serealport New Member

ok hi everyone first post so here we go

i have a 99 k1500 1/2 ton 5.7 v8 suburban

i took the heads off to change gasgets and found a lot of rust in the #2,3,4 and 5 cylinders i dont know how to clean them out or if there is any way to fix the cylinder walls without putting in bigger pistons so i would like to have some guidance

thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The repair method depends on the severity of the corrosion and the wear of the cylinders. You'll need to measure to to determine where things stand.
    It is possible to run oversize rings if theres light wear or no deep pitting and corrosion. The corrosion can be cleaned with a cylinder bore, hand sanding is not recommended because you dont want to do anything that would get the cylinders out of round.
  3. hmaster77

hmaster77 Rockstar

u could sleeve the pistons but if u r gonna go through that much trouble u might as well put bigger pistons and a bigger cam u could then easilly add 150+ hp like that
  4. serealport

serealport New Member

i have taken pics and hope to have them up tonight thanks
  5. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They sell hand honers you put in a drill, that would work if there isnt too much damage.
  6. serealport

serealport New Member

well my computer is not co operating so i cannot get the pics off my phone yet will post them later

thanks for the help so far
  7. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hone the cylinders. Dont go crazy tho. It is ok to use a fine grit sand paper on the pistons but only take the top layer of rust off. Clean them with a parts cleaner. I would suggest this stuff I got called bio it is great it is made with orange peels. Be sure to put pleanty of oil 40 wt on the pistons and the cylinder walls this will help protect against corosion till you get things put back togather. Please dont take a grinder to the pistons please. Also it only should take about 3 up and down motions with the hone if that dont get it take it and have it bored. We do this on the engines we repair. It should work fine for you. Be sure you mike everything and make sure it is with in specs.
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just curious, but how do you get much rust in a truck that is being used regularly? I can see how a coolant lea-head or intake gaskets- would dump water/coolant in it(but combustion gases are filled with water anyway?), but wouldn't the oil sorta prevent much rust-and the rings scrape the rust off every time it is run??

I'm curious to see the pictures.

Charlie
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You'd be surprised how fast the internals of an engine develop corrosion when subjected to moisture, if the rings are working properly there shouldnt be any oil in the top of the cylinder after the down stroke and heat treated metals corrode within minutes.
  10. serealport

serealport New Member

sorry bout the long wait college is getting started again so im up to my neck in work and school and dead cars

i filled the rusted cylinders with Marvel mystery oil and hoping that will help
    most of the rust wasn't very bad so i cleaned out what i saw with an steel wool pad now i will probably try and track down a hone tool however

as i said earlier i thought it was head gaskets but there dosent seem to be any rust on the gaskets except were the bolts are so i dont thing the gaskets are messed up which means either heads or the block (i think, somebody say something if im wrong) does any one know were i can get that metal spray stuff to check the heads for cracks

EDIT: one more thing we replaced heads and gaskets before and this time the freeze plug blew so we lost all coolant and that is what started the problem after that we procrastenated and it took about a year for us to get back to working on the truck so this wasnt overnight
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009