1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 Barn Door Removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Steve in VA, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Steve in VA

Steve in VA New Member

I searched the "How To Guide" and this forum with no luck on finding instructions on how to remove the door pins from the rear Barn Doors.

I have so far used a drift puch and BFH and the pin wont come out. I also used a big C clamp with a socket thats wider than the top of the pin and it still wont come out. The spare door is on a saw horse trying all of this and I still cant get the pins out.

Anyone have a link or suggestions to get these door pins out?

Thanks for your time, Steve

2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

The pins don't come out.... The whole hinge has to be unbolted from the door and/or the truck....

3. Steve in VA

Steve in VA New Member

Joeairforce

99 Suburban rear barn doors do not have bolt on style hinges. If you suggested to drill out the spot welds on both the frame and the barn door hinges, I'd believe that, but there has got to be another way. Anyone else got more suggestions?

Thanks, Steve

4. TMair

TMair Member

Ok I have been googleing this, from what I have been able to find out, part of the problem is the weight of the door on the pin, (one person said it was way easy to drive the pin out of the hinge on the replacement door when it was laying on the ground, but nearly impossible to drive them out of the door hanging on the truck) I am wondering if you can put a jack or something under the door to take the weight then try driving the pin out, also their might be a c clip on the bottom of the pin, but most suggested grinding the head off of the top of the pin and then driving it down and out the bottom, and they said you may need to use heat because they become rusted in the hinges, then you get new pins from the Chevy dealer and use them.
    I hope this helps
    Terry

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  5. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Well then nevermind what I said..... Didn't realize that Chevy had gotten stupid about those too..... Might try some heat...