99 Burban Cargo Door Bushings

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bredin, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

my rear cargo door on the pa side is starting to 'sag' or move when you have the door open, and it wont close properly. I bought new pins and bushings for the hinges since I think this is the problem... but how the h*ck do I get the pins out? lol

Thanks for any help.

2. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

anyone know how to do this?

I got the replacement bushing and pins today, but a screw driver and hammer or a C-clamp isn't working... do I really have to bring it to the shop for this?? :(

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just tryed to do mine on my 2001 S-10, and I had no luck with any of that either. I even tryed heating them up, pounding them out and many other things. I ended up taking it to the shop, and they robbed me out of $450 for one friggin door.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When we bought our Tahoe, the seller had new pins installed. I guess the guy went through a half dozen drill bits getting them out.

5. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

are these cargo doors or side doors that were replaced?

These are the rear barn doors with the external hinges... seems to be a PITA to get out lol

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was talking rear barn doors.

7. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

darn... I dont want to spend $450 to change these :(

wonder if I can have my wife help them during 'lonely' times haha

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I replaced a set a while back on the barn doors of a Suburban I bought for resale.
    The process is a lot like doing them for the front boors.
    Make sure your supporting the doors and taking as much pressure off the hinge point as possible when trying to remove it, also if it has the little "keeper tabs" on th bottom of the pins knock them off with a small chisel, and use a small punch to shove the pin up and out.
    I made an off-set punch to do this part of the job.
    Lubricant goes a long way at helping get the pins out also.