1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 chevy k1500 4x4 ext cab ls-front end issue?????

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Keeta, Mar 27, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Keeta

Keeta New Member

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
    When I am driving and making even a small turn that requires me to hold in that position the steering feels as if it gives and over turns causing me to loose control. Sometimes this even happens when just driving straight then moving steering wheel in either direction to stay in my lane and it just gives and causes my truck to turn very erratical. I just put a pitman arm on but the person helping said that it was up on the shaft as far as it could go leaving about 1 1/2in of the splines exposed, maybe that's the way it goes. this problem started prior to replacing the pitman arm but seems to be worse since new tires, alignment and pitman arm. Anyone have any advice I would appreciate it or I am going to end up in a ditch.
    Thanks,
    Graham
  2. mosntersurban

mosntersurban New Member

98 GMC 4X4 - I have a similar problem, which I believe to have more than one cause.

The control arm bushings were my first guess, but they look OK.
    I have heard that the steering wheel position sensor (on the steering shaft near your feet) can affect the "gives" feeling. I have disconnected the wires to it for a test. Weirdly, there seems to be some improvement. Is this possible?
    I plan next to check the steering box. Anyone?
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Check the frame where the steer gear box mounts to the truck as well as all the joints. Are the boots on your end links holding grease? Those are the things I would check first.
  4. geo1

geo1 Member 100 Posts

sounds like the pump,youre power assist is not constant,i.e. pressure dropping and rising,giving you that feel.what about a good flushing,fluid is probably dark anyway,cheap place to start and whatever you dont change will be clean