1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'99 CK Fuel Pump / Filter problem...

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by vulcania, Sep 8, 2011.

1. vulcania

vulcania New Member

105 actual miles, babied 1999 5.7 4WD. 1500 hlf-ton.

Coming home the other day after operating perfectly; engine just died and wouldn't restart.

When I engage the switch, I still hear the pump buzzing.

Blocked filter?

Could the pump be defective and still making noises as though operating?

Something else entirely?

Thanks in advance,

Pat
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Maybe to all three questions.

Standard test for a blocked filter or defective pump at this point would be to test the fuel pressure. If the pressure is normal (~60 psi) and stays normal while trying to start, then a blocked filter/defective pump is not indicated.

My '98 did something very similar once. Turns out the wires going to the CKP had come out of their harness, laid across the exhaust manifold and burnt through. Diagnosis of this condition started by pulling codes from the computer, which showed a CKP/ICM code. If the fuel pressure test seems to pass, the next thing I'd do would be to pull codes from the computer and see if there are any clues there.