1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

`99 Express 3500 Security light on and won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by Bugzturbo, May 7, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Bugzturbo

Bugzturbo New Member

I have a 1999 Express 3500 cargo van that I have owned for about 2 years now. The other day I went to start it and the battery was dead (been about a week since I used it). Put my jumper on it and it cranked and fired, but dies immediately. Tried again, same thing. Then I realized the security light was on. This has never happened before since I owned it. I changed the ECU about a year and a half ago and did have to reset the security then, but it went fine and have never had the issue again. Problem is, now I cannot get it to reset no matter what I do I've tried "key on for 10 minutes", "key on for 30 minutes", "key on for 10 minutes then off for 5 seconds, 3 times" and also "crank then leave key on for 10 minutes then off for 5 seconds, 3 times". Nothing is working. The light never goes out at all except when I turn the key off. What am I missing here? Also tried the "lock/unlock drivers door" trick too, but it is a cargo van with no power options, so I really didn't expect that to work anyway. Been messing with this damn thing for 2 days now to no avail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Bug
  2. Bugzturbo

Bugzturbo New Member

Anyone? Anyone??....... Bueller?
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't want you to feel like nobody is reading, but I don't have a good answer for you other than to contact the dealer and see what they say. I had this happen on a Pontiac Aztek once and it had to go to the dealer on the hook to be fixed.
  4. Bugzturbo

Bugzturbo New Member

Yeah, I called the dealer hoping they might give me a tip on what to do, but they wouldn't tell me anything but "bring it in". They want $150 just to look at it. Not fix it, just look at it. They can kick rocks.
  5. rjgoss

rjgoss New Member

I have a 99 chevy sub and it started something like that bout three years ago. For the last two and half years I stick the key in and turn just until the lights on the dash come on, make sure security light is not blinking and it starts right up everytime for the last two and half years. No dealer no nothin!
  6. BowtieExpressNC

BowtieExpressNC New Member

I just bought my 99 express 1500 5.0 a few weeks ago.It just did it the second time yesterday. would start & stall immediately I noticed the security light flashing.the 1 st time I kept trying different things it eventually started.Yesterday it didn't start it was flashing I was in a hurry maybe 4 or 5 minutes so I left it when I returned a couple hours later it started right up.MY question is how long does it normally take to quit flashing? Also do you turn on the key & wait or keep turning on/off till it stops flashing?I really appreciate any help thanks
  7. rjgoss

rjgoss New Member

No no, just turn the ignition on without starting the car and stop. When the dash lights all come on check to see if the security light is on. If it is not blinking, crank it up. Mines start everytime like that. If the security light is blinking don't try to start it, it gonna have to sit for ten minutes.
  8. BowtieExpressNC

I'm having this problem it had been only every couple of weeks now it did it twice in 2 days & right now it wont start I waited 10 min.s & it quit flashing I turned key it immediately started flashing again.the second time I pulled the neg for 10-15 mins waiting now but it was flashing again when I reconnected the neg terminal?? any insight would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Now it started little afraid to trust it again but Its restarting every time I try it so far
  9. rjgoss

rjgoss New Member

I'm sorry, i didn't clarify. U have to do the pause EVERYTIME you start the car. Once it doesn't start on you, you have to wait. Pause at ON position for 3 to 5 seconds then start from there. It's been working for me for about two and half years.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, i didn't clarify. U have to do the pause EVERYTIME you start the car. Once it doesn't start on you, you have to wait. Pause at ON position for 3 to 5 seconds then start from there. It's been working for me for about two and half years.
  10. BowtieExpressNC

thanks I m sure that wil help.I do remember turning it more quickly that time.Do you know why the pause everytime? Is there a thread you know of that explains the pausing? Its not a bing deal I just like to understand it better?Also has anyone had this issue resolved dealer or otherwise?? thanks again you really helped me so much!!