1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 gmc suburban blown rearend?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sbrodacz, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sbrodacz

sbrodacz New Member

What a day! My sons birthday was yesterday. He turned two. My wife and I were on our way to jumping monkey for him to play. I turn the corner heard a pop my rpms jumped and my truck started to tilt to the right. I looked in the mirror and saw the rear passenger tire and axle shaft rolling down the side of the road. I'm waiting to hear back on an estimate to get it fixed. I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem and what I should expect the cost to be.

To top it off my wife's escape started acting up. She said it started after she got gas a few days ago. It was sluggish and would sputter. At first I thought maybe it was just bad gas but noticed last night when it'd sputter the battery light would flicker. My first gas was an alternator. God I hope not. It's a huge pain to swap the alternator out on the escape. This morning her car started and idled fine. She called me and said it was shaking really bad and the check engine light came on. We just did spark plugs two years ago. Maybe it's the coil boot. Who knows. Just really really frustrating.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As for your wheel rolling away, it sounds like the E-clip that holds the axleshaft in broke or the end of the axleshaft where the E-clip sits broke. Either way is not insanely catastrophic. The e-clip can be obtained from a junkyard for next to nothing or from a dealer for $50 or less I suspect. The axleshaft can be gotten from a junkyard for probably less than $20 or $150 from a dealer.

Replacement of the shaft involves pulling the rear differential pan, removing the broken parts, inserting the shaft back into the housing, installing the e-clip and pulling the axleshaft back out a little until the e-clip seats in its groove. Easy cheesy; probably a 2 hour job at most. The 10-bolt axle is super common and was used in GM half-ton pickups for well over 25 years. Just make sure you get one with the right number of lugs and for the correct side as the drivers and passenger's sides are different lengths.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It really depends on what is damaged in the rearend. If a clip some how came off then it would be a rather cheap fix, assuming the axle shaft splines were not damaged rolling down the road. If the rear carrier is damaged then it gets pricey. A new carrier is between $500-900 depending on what you get, not including gears. If that is the case, you may be better off trying to find an axle with the same ratio from a salvage yard. I have seen them for between $150-$600. Then, I would take it to a gear shop and have them rebuild the salvaged axle with new bearings and adjust the gear lash. That runs around $600. Look at the bright side, you might be able to upgrade to a locker if you want cheaper than repairing your damaged axle. You can put your vin in here and it should tell you what ratio you have along with if it is limited slip or locker http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
  4. sbrodacz

sbrodacz New Member

You hit the nail right on the head. I just heard back from the machenic. The C-clip broke. He's replacing the clip, a new axle shaft, bearing and seals. New gear oil. A told of $840 which also includs the tow. I'm pleased with that price. I was really expecting $2000 plus.

Pikey- A locker would be nice. I don't think I will every offroad the truck though, that is what the jeep and pickup are for.
  5. sbrodacz

sbrodacz New Member

Just picked up the suburban. It ended up costing me $730.