Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'99 GMC Suburban Brake Problem and Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by emefco, Nov 2, 2013.

1. emefco

emefco New Member

I have a '99 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban with 172,000 one owner miles. I have a brake problem. I have replaced the rear drums and the front calipers, pads and rotors are new in the past 12 months. Here is the problem. If I have to hit the brake suddenly for any reason, immediately it will start to hop/chatter like the ABS is malfunctioning and you hear it engaging until the vehicle stops. I have had a couple of moments that were a little more concerning than I would like so I need to figure this out, any input from the group? Thanks, Matt
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I just learned about this tonight...I am having a similar problem. It seems your ABS sensors are sending false readings. In my case, it seems I have a wheel hub bearing going bad. I also have heard that the ABS sensor being dirty can cause this.
  3. e-coast

e-coast New Member

I can't say the your ABS sys is causing hopping & chattering, it could be that the hopping & chattering is causing your ABS sys to kick in. I think the first thing I'd check is that your front caliper bolts are tight.

If however, your ABS sys kicks in at any slow rolling stop, then you may have a sensor issue.
    What usually happens is rust builds up where the sensor is at the hub, causing the sensor to move out of range so its not detecting rotation properly. Its easy to check, just yank the ABS fuse under the hood, your ABS light will illuminate on the dash, go for a little ride around the block, if she stops smoothly, well then that's probably it, or some other ABS issue.

I don't advocate driving around permanently like that, but its temporarily safer under the circumstances.

The think the 1/2 tons are an easy replacement, 3/4 ton more work (rotor removal).
    Let us know what you find.