1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'99 GMC Suburban "stalls" intermittently at highway speeds

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blacksheep72, Feb 24, 2014.

1. blacksheep72

blacksheep72 New Member

Hello -
    I've got a '99 GMC Suburban, 5.7L, 250,000+ miles. I bought it in the summer of 2012. Late spring of 2013 it started acting up. Here's what it's doing.

First, when I start the truck and try to drive right away it seems as if the engine is not getting enough fuel. The truck sort of hesitates, sputters and jerks for several seconds and then slowly smooths out and I can get up to speed. If I let the truck idle for a few minutes before driving it does not do this. I have installed new plugs, cap/rotor, plug wires and nothing has changed.

Second, and the biggest pain in the rear, is I can be driving along at highway speeds and the truck will "stall"(for lack of a better term). It's as if someone has flipped a switch to "OFF", only the engine does not die. It drops down to idle speed. This causes me to have to pull over, turn the ignition to "off", restart after a few seconds, and baby this thing back up to speed(hopefully). When I first restart the truck, I usually cannot get the RPMs to go past 2000, even with the pedal to the floor. The problem seems to almost disappear in cold weather. Now that temps have been in the upper 40s/lower 50s it has come back with a vengeance. It stalled about 10 times yesterday in a 20 mile stretch.

And NO "Check Engine" light. Aside from the "stalling", the engine runs and sounds good. Never have issues around town, just at highway speeds.

This truck is unfortunately the main mode of transportation for my family. My wife's 2-door Wrangler just isn't big enough. We are currently looking at purchasing a home, so a major repair or purchase of a newer Suburban is not really in the cards right now. I'm hoping this is something like a sensor, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I would check the fuel pressure. You say it seems like its starving for fuel so it may be. The fuel pressure should be around 50-60 psi.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with [MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION] . Check the fuel pressure. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?? Might want to start there if you have not done that.
  4. blacksheep72

blacksheep72 New Member

I forgot to mention that I changed the fuel filter in June, 2013. I'll have to look into having the fuel pressure checked. Maybe I can rent the tools from one of the car parts stores.