1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 GMC Z71 Stepside wanna run 35s

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bribush75, May 11, 2012.

1. bribush75

bribush75 New Member

Ok gang listen up, I just got this truck given to me for FREE, its in great condition, so I thought I would lift it, I would like to run 35s, any help comments and input would be great, thanks.....
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

6" lift + leveling kit and some minor trimming will get you there. 20's are fine if it's a street-only truck; 18's are better if you off-road it. You can do 17's, as well (which will result in cheaper tires/wheels), but do so only if you're sure you don't want to put a big brake kit on the truck, as you can't squeeze one under 17's. (Minimum requirement is usually 18's.)

Don't forget that when you lift a truck you muck with the entire system. Your brake lines will be longer so you'll want stainless steel lines to restore lost pedal feel. Your gear ratios will be out of whack relative to the big tires you have to churn to get going, so you'll want to regear for both fuel economy and avoiding increased transmission wear (from gear hunting on inclines). You'll want a tuner to correct your speedo error and to set your gear ratios properly when you regear ... and ideally you'll want a custom tune to go with it for fuel econ reasons. Bigger diameter tires mean fewer tire rotations across a given distance (which is less revolutions in which brakes can do their jobs), so you'll want to think about brake upgrades.

You get the idea.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 ^ That man is a genius
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

agreed.

except for the mention of 20's:fighting0072:
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

My stock brakes will send me almost through the windshield with 35's. I suppose in constant braking down long hills or off roading may cause fatigue, Im happy with how my ride stops.
  6. bribush75

bribush75 New Member

Thanks I appreciate it. Here in Hawaii we are blessed with great sunshine and HIGH prices. The things I have found online are great, but here on the island, they are hella expensive, oh well that is the cost of living in paradise right.
  7. bribush75

bribush75 New Member

Just got back from 4 Wheel Parts and here is what I went with, let me know your thoughts guys.... ProComp 6in lift, Moto Metal 961 series rims in 18x10, with Toyo Open Country M/T 33x12.50.... UNFORTUNATELY I have to wait 3 weeks for delivery here to Oahu......
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nice wheel size, lift and tires -- though I thought you were after 35's?

I can't comment on the wheels' looks because you don't have any albums with pics in them so I have no idea how they might look with your truck. Ultimately, though, what matters is if YOU are pleased with the selection. :)

ROFL! Hey, I don't like 20's either, but some people do and I try to be accommodating. (The operative word is 'try'.) However, I'll mock someone ruthlessly for 22's and larger...
    Last edited: May 12, 2012