1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'99 Jimmy shifter problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by ravinmainiac, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ravinmainiac

ravinmainiac New Member

When I try to shift out of park, the button on the shift lever won't go in and I can't move the lever into gear. I can hear a clicking noise in the dash, when I push the button. Haynes doesn't mention the shift console, much less how to get inside it. I don't want to mess it up any worse than it is. without a clue. Anyone have any (clues)? TIA
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!! There is some sort of cable I thought that when you press on the brake it allows the button to go in and allow you to shift into gear.. Its possible the cable broke or became disconnected. since you have a button im assuming your shifter is in the center console?? (some were also on the steering column) Im also assuming your vehicle is running and your putting your foot on the brake before pushing in the button.

My GF had a 99 jimmy and this happened to her.. But I just asked her and we dont remember what the issue was.. we never fixed anything it was just a fluke.. make sure the shifter is all the way up in park before trying to push the button in to bring it back into drive ect. Hope you figure it out and maybe someone else will have an idea to the problem.. good luck
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

It's the brake shift interlock. There should be an override emergency release option somewhere (look for a slot/hole near the shifter that you can stick a key into) that can get it out of Park without the brake being depressed ... All vehicles have them if I remember correctly.
  4. ChevyFan

I stole this from somewhere else ...

Usually the problem is the shift interlock system is malfunctioning. The system has an actuator mounted at the base of the steering column that determines when the brake pedal is depressed and releases the gear selector. This prevents shifting the car from park into gear unless your foot is on the brake. Before you go to any expense checking this, try opening the plastic cover around the shifter and spraying a good dose of WD-40 all around the shift linkage as your problem may just be a sticking part in the mechanism. If this doesn’t work, you'll need to have the actuator checked out by a mechanic. I would not try bypassing the actuator as that can cause many more expensive problems than the cost of repair. Most cars and trucks have an emergency release which is a hole near the shifter or a button under the plastic shifter housing. You insert your key into the hole or press the button, shift into neutral and start the car. Then you do not put the shifter back into park until you get the car to the mechanic to fix the actuator.
  5. ChevyFan

Look for the emergency release hole first. Then try to fix as shown above.
  6. ChevyFan

7. ravinmainiac

ravinmainiac New Member

shifter problem

Thanx Phantom and Steve for the help. I'll try the WD-40 trick and let you know what happens. Any idea on how to remove the shift handle to allow me to get the console cover out of the way? I can work around it if I have to. Thanx again.