1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 k1500 burb Bad Acceleration

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by FergusonT, Feb 3, 2011.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Today on my way to work I was going at about 50 mph and I noticed that when I put my foot down to pass somebody that it just kind of bogged down, it would downshift but it wouldn't break 3k RPM.....but if i backed off the throttle a little bit it would start to go. Very weird....
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Start with cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner. CRC is the only company that I've seen that makes the MAF cleaner, its in a silver can. DON'T use anything but MAF cleaner, because it will ruin the MAF. Follow the cans instructions!

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

A dirty MAF can cause strange things to happen because it sends false signals to the trucks computer it can even mess up a transmission.
  3. FergusonT

That would really be good if thats all I have to do....and yeah it does make my transmission act funny...
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It can also be just time for a tuneup, a cracked or carboned distributer will give you the same effect.
  5. FergusonT

Well I cleaned the MAF and it made no difference. so far i have noticed that it usually happens when i give it more than half throttle very quickly. I can ease up to over half throttle and have no problems, its that sudden push of the throttle that does it. I am going to plan on doing the tune up soon, and hope its not something with the fuel pump. I will probably do the fuel filter when I do the tune up. Can anybody tell me where the fuel filter is located on my 'burb?
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

IF I remember correctly its right under the drivers side doors on the frame rail. I doubt its the fuel pump, that is a part that is working or it isnt. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator but I would start at the distributer. This was the identical symptoms for mine and the culprit was the distributer was cracked as they are plastic and become brittle. The distributer at least you can take out ans inspect without just guessing, along with pulling the plugs and looking for abnormal wear. Another trick for testing the spark plug wire is get a spray bottle with water in it and set it to mist. with the truck running spray wires, see if it induces a stumble or irregularety in engine idle. Always start with free inspection instead of just guessing and throwing parts at it, Good Luck.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2 from me as well. I would try a sweep test on the throttle position sensor as well. (free if you have a multimeter) that will tell you if the resistor is shot. Because the TPS controls the tranny, spark all of that as well. But i am on board with problems from the Dist since ive had to change quite a few for failures.
  8. FergusonT

Well, Just did plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, this is the kit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-TST3/

Still having the same problem. Anything over half throttle, it starts to choke. I did notice a bit more pep from anything under half throttle, so the tune up did have a positive effect. So...how should I test the throttle position sensor, I don't have a multimeter. I really dont know how to go about diagnosing this problem from this point. Maybe I should just take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. any thoughts?

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Actually I shouldnt say that anything over half throttle gives me problems, I can slowly work my way up to over half throttle and get to the rev limiter successfully, but it would be slow getting on the highway up to 70mph.