1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 K1500 front and rear axels.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by silverado82481, Feb 25, 2014.

1. silverado82481

silverado82481 New Member

I didnt notice it till i stood back to get a good look but i bought new wheels and tires for my Suburban. and now that the wheels stick out alil bit from the body. It looks like the rear does not stick out as much as the front. Has any one else came across this. or are my eyes jsut playing tricks on me I will get out with a measuring tape when the weather breaks. but it looks like there is a 1\2inch to a inch or two difference ( just by looking ). I even checked the other side to make sure the rear axel was not shifted. but it looks the same on that side as well. any thought on this. I have not came across this before.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

it could be your eyes playing tricks on you. Did you buy the tires and wheels new or used? do all the wheels have the same offset?

3. silverado82481

all wheels are the same part number I questiones it with the stock wheels once then chalked it up to the way it was sitting. but now its aparent and its kinda bugging me lol

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

post a pic for us! :neutral:

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your eyes arent decieving you, it was this way with the factory wheels/tires too.
    If you didnt have the front slightly wider than the back you would have tracking and handling problems that would make your truck handle terribly on curves and turns.
    Having experience converting trucks from 2wd to 4wd and ifs to solid axle Ive learned ensuring a wider front axle is crucial to getting a good handling truck.
    You may be tempted to put spacers on the rear, I dont recommend it as it will cause handling issues.

6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Your eyes are not fooling you. Not only is the rear axle tread width shorter than the front tread width, but the front bodywork is narrower than the rear. Look closely, you will see it curve in from the front doors to the bumper.

The front tires on my 1999 Suburban stick out nearly 2 1/2" more than the rears compared at the fender lip. I am running 285 50 20's on Eagle Chrome 20" rims. I have 2 1/2" wheel well flares and the fronts stick out past them. My inside offset is pretty close to stock, but all the extra wheel width is to the outside. These wheels are also death to front hub bearings, (he says, two sets later).

The other guys are right. Virtually all 4 wheeled road vehicles are set up this way to prevent unpredictable under-steer, MASSIVE over-steer, and sudden rollover.

It is also why duallies have those weird offset front hubs, to make the suspension THINK the front axle is wider than the rear while keeping the tires under the body. It don't work all that well. Pressing a duallie into a hard corner will give you a "Time to meet Jesus" moment.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. silverado82481

all good info and thanks..... it is crazy what a inch will do. Is there any one that has put the spacers on? I know its not be recomended. due to handeling issues. lets be honest Im not going to be street racing a suburban if its doing 70 its because im passing some one Im curious as to how much of a change the spacers will make. If any one has please let me know the out come. thanks !!

8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Its not at highway speeds where it will make a difference its at like 40 on a curve where problems may arise. These trucks are top heavy and to counter act that the truck has the slightly wider front stance. Also as stated above there will be over all handling issue which may include giving your Burb which has a huge turning radius a even larger one. I don't have experience with spacers, but I know that on trucks when people use them they use equal sized spacers front and back which doesn't overly effect the factory design, but would still make them uneven.

9. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

In the rain on a two lane is where it nay bite you.

10. silverado82481

1969166_699168076772702_817113304_n.jpg

she didnt turn out to bad didnt really notice a hole lot of difference. just stiffer in the front but now that i see two inches i defenatly want to go 4 inches so once i get the money im going to put a true 4 inch lift on it