99 rearend

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by d55gmc, Jul 27, 2010.

1. d55gmc

d55gmc New Member

Hey guys , am new to this forum and have gotten a lot of information already could someone please tell me what year rearends would be a direct bolt in for a 99 suburban 1500 4x4 it has semi floater 373 posi thats whining now just waiting for the grinding. My friend tows a 24' R/V trailer and had the rearend done completely at a dealership 3yrs./ 60,000 mi. ago. but would like to put full floater in and keep 6 bolt pattern are the brakes all the same? Thanks Don

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

1988-1998 (and 1999 For GM SUVs). I would look for a rearend out of a 1988-1991? K2500 light duty with the 6lug. That is a heavier rear axle but you do loose your ABS.. But there also might be newer years that have the Heavier rear axle and they are ABS equipped...

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most 3/4 and 1-ton axles are the GM Corporate 14-bolt rearend. It comes in 2 variants, 6-lug semi-floating and 8-lug full-floating. As murdog said, the 6-lug semi-floating was used in the 80s bodystyle 3/4 ton suburbans and pickups. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a 6-lug full-floater, they just don't exist.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hey Crawdaddy, the 6lugs were used in the Newer body style Chevies.. I have one and that was why my reccomendation since they are much heavier duty and hence dont break as often... I actually didnt know they came in the Suburbans as well.. So thanks for the education for me as well...