1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 rearend

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by d55gmc, Jul 27, 2010.

1. d55gmc

d55gmc New Member

Hey guys , am new to this forum and have gotten a lot of information already could someone please tell me what year rearends would be a direct bolt in for a 99 suburban 1500 4x4 it has semi floater 373 posi thats whining now just waiting for the grinding. My friend tows a 24' R/V trailer and had the rearend done completely at a dealership 3yrs./ 60,000 mi. ago. but would like to put full floater in and keep 6 bolt pattern are the brakes all the same? Thanks Don
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

1988-1998 (and 1999 For GM SUVs). I would look for a rearend out of a 1988-1991? K2500 light duty with the 6lug. That is a heavier rear axle but you do loose your ABS.. But there also might be newer years that have the Heavier rear axle and they are ABS equipped...
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Most 3/4 and 1-ton axles are the GM Corporate 14-bolt rearend. It comes in 2 variants, 6-lug semi-floating and 8-lug full-floating. As murdog said, the 6-lug semi-floating was used in the 80s bodystyle 3/4 ton suburbans and pickups. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a 6-lug full-floater, they just don't exist.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Hey Crawdaddy, the 6lugs were used in the Newer body style Chevies.. I have one and that was why my reccomendation since they are much heavier duty and hence dont break as often... I actually didnt know they came in the Suburbans as well.. So thanks for the education for me as well...