99 Sierra reliability??

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by blazin99, Jan 1, 2008.

1. blazin99

blazin99 New Member

I owned several full size Ford trucks over the years, but have been unhappy with what Ford puts out in the way of a truck. I'm looking to purchase a '99 5.3L Sierra, 4wd, SLT, new body style, w/ 100k on it. I've done some research and it seems that people have mixed reviews on this truck. Some have a lot of problems while others don't have any. I figured I come straight to those who own these trucks and ask what kind of problems might, or might not, expect. Is this a solid truck or should I anticipate problems that will be popping up shortly. Thanks for any imput you guys might have.

Mark
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

Biggest thing I can think of is the intake gasket/DexCool thing. ~100K is when they need to be done, so if it hasn't been done yet, plan to develop a coolant leak soon. The problem seems to be across the board for GM products in the mid-late '90's. I don't know how expensive the 5.3 is, but my 5.7 was a pretty expensive fix.l
  3. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Member

Yeah, for the most part I think that any of these vehicles from the late '90s are built pretty well. Anything that is kept up well will take, with the exception of the common issues that have been designed out.
  4. sierraman

sierraman New Member

100k miles is might be pushing it, my friend had a 99 silverado z71 5.3l and his tranny went out at 123k, but then again the owner before him didnt take care of it, i guess it depends on what kind of shape its in
  5. blazin99

blazin99 New Member

The truck seems to have been taken care of for the most part. Transmission shifts fine and at what seems to be the correct rpm. Did have a mechanic shop look it over and they found that one of the exhaust manfolds had a crack in it, driver side window regulator seems to be on its last leg. About the intake leak you were talking about. Is this the intake manifold gasket that is leaking? That guys for your imput so far.

Mark