1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 Silverado brake pad removal question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by palmer_df0130, Sep 18, 2010.

1. palmer_df0130

palmer_df0130 Rockstar

Just finished putting pads and rotors on the front. Damn what a chore! Is it normal to have to use a hammer to tap the old pads off and the new ones on to the slides? I also had to reuse the old hardware kit because I could not for the life of me get the new pads on the new slides. It was a pain in the ass to get the new pads on the old slides also.:grrrrrr: Either way, I got it done and now just have to seat the pads to the rotor. Do you guy's think I am going to have problem with brake drag since the pads did not easily slide off or on like the repair manual say's?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did you compress the pistons before trying to remove/install? What I always do is to remove most of the brake fluid but not enough to let air in then I use a large pair of pump pliers ( there is a special tool for this) on the old pads to compress the piston. Removing the brake fluid makes this easier. Pads can be a pain because of all the heat cycles, dust and dirt. Hope I explained this O.K.
  3. palmer_df0130

palmer_df0130 Rockstar

Yep, I removed a little more than 2/3 of the fluid and did compress the pistons to get the caliper off. That was the easy part for me, it was the pads themselves being a pain to get on and off. Everything seems to be working good with the new pads and rotors so far. I watched a video about removing the pads and rotors on a 99 Silverado and their pads slipped off like it was cool. Mine on the hand, I had to use a ballbeen to tap them off and on. The guy up at Advance Auto said that it was normal for the pads to fit tight on the bracket.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Everything comes off easier in the video's. LOL.