1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 Silverado Cruise control problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jhampsilverado, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jhampsilverado

jhampsilverado New Member

So I just got my new truck today, and coming home from the dealer I went to use cruise control on it. It worked great and fine in the test drive, and when I got on the interstate coming home, the first part of coming home that is. so I stopped for lunch, then after that the cruise didn't work at all the rest of the way home, some 90 miles. So after that I had another trip to make for work, so I tested the cruise again.... worked fine, but I had 3 bridges under construction, and when I went to get the cruise back on after the last bridge, same story cruise didn't work. What could be my issue?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

well its ten years old and they dont last forever is one of them, mine in my burban does the same, i just deal with it. Most likely you replace the blinker stalk and its taken care of, i have seen these on ebay pretty cheap. It can also be a sensor for the throttle, after years and years of setting the cruise at say 55 or 65 it can were out that area on the cable and cant read what it needs to, this is what i have been told anyway.
  3. jhampsilverado

humm never heard of the sensor for the throttle issue...
    one thing I've been wondering, could it be the brake pedal switch?
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if it was the brake issue, then your brake lights would be coming on and it would drain the battery at night. My guess is the blinker stalk or the cruise button itself
  5. jhampsilverado

yeah dad is thinking that is the issue too. he thinks that it could be a loose connection or dirty contacts on the stalk....