1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'99 Silverado - Does this look normal? Pic Inside.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hack_tc, Dec 15, 2008.

1. hack_tc

hack_tc New Member

I just recently acquired a '99 silverado 1500 with a v6. Was looking around under the truck just for the heck of it, and noticed this.

other 002.jpg

The trucks been running fine, and to me if this wasnt normal, you'd think id be having some major problems, but i dont notice any.

What is the deal here, and if its wrong, what do i need to do to fix this?

Thanks.
  2. mec.1987

mec.1987 New Member

Hey man, It looks as if you have a leak at your transmission housing?????? I'm gonna need a bigger pic, if you are using photobucket, save it as medium, instead of small. Mike
  3. hack_tc

hack_tc New Member

The picture gets really big when you click it...

Thanks for the reply.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

this picture is such a close-up that I can't make heads or tails of where this part is or what direction you're facing. Perhaps a wider shot might help in identifying the issue.
  5. hack_tc

hack_tc New Member

The pic was taken from about the middle of the truck, facing the front. It is where the transmission bolts up to the block or something. What im curious about is why it doesnt mount up flush, and leaves an open gap at the bottom there.
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I see what you are talking about. That really does not look normal. Is the truck 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive and what motor do you have. Maybe someone has the same rig and can take a look at theirs.
  7. hack_tc

hack_tc New Member

It is 2wd, 4.3L v6 vortec I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is there a bolt sheared off in that hole?
  9. hack_tc

hack_tc New Member

No, and to be honest, I'm not even sure that that hole is threaded. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Its really really cold out now.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  10. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I see what you're talking about too. Certainly doesn't look normal to me. Neither does all of the oil. Looks like there's a leak somewhere.
    chevy parts