Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99' Silverado not going into gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by pacaguy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. pacaguy

pacaguy New Member

I currentley have have a 99' with a 01' 5.3 engine and matching automatic transmission that was recently installed. the issue at hand, drove fine at normal speed then while in in drive it slipped out of gear, fell back in gear, then a mile down the road it would not go into any gear as if it was in neutral. I have checked the fluid even though it did leak some transmission fluid out "after" I had it towed and it is a bit over the mark on the dip stick. I checked the shift cable and it is moving the gear lever on the transmission.

One note, the 4wd selector switch on the dash is blinking if I try to put into auto 4wd or 4wd hi or lo ( it does not blink when in 2wd mode). I also know that my actuator to the transfer case is shot. I guess what I'm curious about is if the selector switch could have thrown the transmission into a flat neutral ? I jsut cannot under stand why it would drive fine then just have no gearing. Thanks in advance.

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Your transmission is shot. Common issue. That's a 4L60e transmission and they are garbage unfortunately.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would not say these have garbage transmissions. what they did have was defective transmission fluid . dexron III is the main reason these transmissions do have wear issues after many years and miles of use.

I would bring to a transmission shop for proper diagnosis. over filling is not good. with air bubbles in the fluid it will fail quickly.

if you do repair this make sure you use synthetic or dexron VI. not dexron III !

4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Whoa dont jump to conclusions here. The encoder motor may be stuck inbetween gears and the tcase is in nuetral causeing no power transfer. With the truck in park try to see if it will roll and if not start it if and if nogo put in park and see if it rolls again. Do you know if the new trans is any good? Also the 4l60e is a good trans when taken care of, i did a mild shift kit to boost line pressure and delete/ soften accumulators to prolong clutch life. The only issue is the sunshell may crack if you reverse to hard or with a big load in reverse but not a prob if you are aware.

5. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

do the 04's have the 4L60e trans? (stock with dexron iii?)

6. pacaguy

pacaguy New Member

I'll try the rocking idea. I do find it odd that there wasn't any indication that the trans was going out.
    I did do one one odd thing, with thd key in the on position, I twisted the drive shaft back and forth while in 2wd . I noticed that the front shaft going to the front axle was moving also, secondly I tried the dashboard switch and it would stay in the 2wd position and would not go into either 4wd hi/Lo or auto 4wd.

7. zigger215

Yes they do. I can never be convinced of the worth of the 4L60e...all my GM trucks (I have had more than what is listed on my profile) have had the 60e transmission go out at around 90,000 miles, my dad and brother in law have experienced the same with theirs...and my truck is in immaculate mechanical condition and driven very kindly....same with my bro in laws and my dads.

8. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

well dammit, thats a shame because im experiencing hard shifts from my tranny in 2nd AND 3rd (albeit softer in 3rd and less profound) the shift from first to 2nd is like a damn garbage truck sometimes and there is a general malaise, or lack of response from the gas pedal to the transmission it sorta "lurches" around when i press on the gas(especially at low speeds), poor response at low speed and especially in stop and go traffic when there is constant shifting in the lower gears (only comparing it to my previous 01 f150's transmission got that truck @ 100k and the transmission was perfect.)

9. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

yes in 2004 and up to 2006 gm used this dexron III. now it is removed from the approved fluids list and no longer is manufactured under the GM spec.

I have had no tranmission issues/leaks etc but I removed this fluid when my vehicles had about 20,ooomi and 1.5 yrs on them from day one new. the 1996 still works great with no issues. you do not get that gray color on the stick with synthetics. dexron III eats at the metal.

on the sunshell they sure did make alot of defective ones. these had improperly heat treated metal very brittle so they will crack. if you have alot of miles with no failure then you most likely got a good one.

10. zigger215

Yea they had major cooling issues, when I had my last tranny go out I just had them build up the 4L60e, tranny cooler, Borg Warner internals. The works. I love it now.