1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99' Silverado not going into gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by pacaguy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

when posting for info on your vehicle giving the failure details does help in helping you.

The vehicle died is to vague.

when you get this all corrected post back with how the tranny/transfercase is operating.
  2. pacaguy

pacaguy New Member

Jcat, died is vague. Driving at around 45 mph, the transmission slipped out of gear ( high rev , no power to trans ) then it fell back into gear without any thump. About a mile down the road the same slip came about and stayed out. There was no liquid at first draining out , that happened after about an hour of sitting on the side of the road.

I will hopefully be giving a fixed update this weekend.
  3. j cat

so the transmission had a leak and the fluid dropped to a level that caused you to have the transmission drop out going at 45 mph. since the fluid flows when the engine is running thru the cooler lines for transmission some times you can miss seeing this type of leak. engine off these lines have no fluid in them so when you park it it will not leak out.
  4. trentkoger

trentkoger New Member

If your gonna put a new tranny in or rebuild the one thats in it monstertrans.com makes sick trannys and rebuild kits and they are awesome to work with.
  5. pacaguy

pacaguy New Member

Jcat, got the trans in. Drove it approx 10 miles. The speedo started to do the wobble again and it started to go in and out of gear. There was a new speed sensor installed.

I made it back to my trans guy. He is going to look at wiring next. Any ideas what I should be looking for. He's not real good at the wiring side of this.
  6. j cat

My guess is the guy does not know what he is doing. what did he do the last time just replace the tranny speed sensor ?

when you get a scrap yard tranny it must be for your year / model to be sure it will electrically work with the PCM/computer

it appears that you need to get another or rebuild this one if it is the correct transmission for your vehicle. these 4l60 are not ALL the same changes , are made internally .
  7. pacaguy

pacaguy New Member

the new transmission is for the 2001 engine . he did only replace the sensor...
    could this be strictly an electrical problem?
  8. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

any word on why there was dexron in there instead of GM tracII fluid?
  9. pacaguy

pacaguy New Member

Okay, so I've spoken to two Chevy dealerships , they believe that the computer will need to be flashed and this was without physically seeing the vehicle. So next step is it is going to have it towed to the dealership, there's no way I'll attempt to screw up the trans by driving it. I'm in this to deep to give up. Lesson learned.

As for why there was red liquid in the transfer case, who knows. Like I stated prior, I did not go over this vehicle very well. I am definitely paying for my poor judgement .
  10. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Reflash? And your triple sure the trans is from the right year?