Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'99 Silverado Passlock solution?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Feb 13, 2013.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

So I find out my truck has a remote start system wired in, had no idea until now. Bought the truck last year on easter weekend. The previous owners didn't give us any remote or anything

So I recently had this no start issue which I worked on for a while but eventually had to get it to a shop. Thats when they discover the remote start system. The guy at the shop removes the system and rewires everything, calls me and says it started right up and its good to go. I get to the shop, and it won't start. He's messing around with it but it still won't start

So now I am looking for a good solution to this passlock problem. I have seen modules that you can buy to bypass it, but I wouldn't know which ones work best or not. Anybody have any thoughts on any of these modules?

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

3. FergusonT

Ok...that is actually a great diagram of some of the solutions I was reading. Thanks J.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That resistor trick will only work on pre 97 vehicles, 98 and up your dealing with the bcm. I did a vats bypass on my 97 firebird with what I cat posted, and it works perfectly 2 years later. On my 04 Colorado I just did a vats bypass, but his method does not work for newer vehicles such as your 99. Go on ebay and type in vats bypass, there is a guy selling them for $20.00 free shipping. 3 wire hook up, black wire to ground, red wire to 12v on ignition, and white wire to dark blue 5v vats reference wire. I have had this on mine for over a year and works perfect, he offers life time replacement as well.

5. FergusonT

6. TRPLXL2

That actually looks like it plugs in to an existing alarm, that might be what you need. I did not have remote start, so mine was something that had to actually be hard wired in.

7. FergusonT

Well I no longer have the remote start, I had the guy at the shop completely remove it and wire everything back to factory spec.

8. TRPLXL2

I should have asked this last night, but does the truck start and then shut off after about 3 seconds or it just won't start at all? Also does your ignition key to start the truck have an external chip, If it doesn't then you will have to buy the bypass like you found. If it does have a chip, then you can do what J-Cat posted.

9. FergusonT

The key doesn't have an external chip. It will start for a split second, literally like one revolution and then it shuts off. Its at a shop now, the guy is looking into something in the ignition switch. Why do I feel like I'm going to pay this guy way too much for a simple solution.

10. TRPLXL2

I can't wait to see what he finds, the reason why it won't stay running is the injectors are being shut off because the theft lock is not receiving the proper code from the bcm. The purpose of the bypass is to "trick" the bcm, and it saves you a ton of money.