'99 Silverado Passlock solution?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Feb 13, 2013.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Seems like a simple concept to me.

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

did you try the 30 min relearn procedure ? step 1 with this the key data code is relearned to the BCM/PCM. turn ignition to on , step 2 attempt to start ,step 3 leave in the ignition on until the security light goes out.step 4 then turn ignition off ,

wait 5 sec then repeat the steps 1-4. repeat 2 more times.

sometimes if the key gets near magnets , strong electromagnetic fields or even other keys [with chips] they can get scrambled.

with a resistor in the key this is the pass key system .

with the module in the key head this is the passlock system.

3. FergusonT

I think the guy at the shop actually did that. He said he has some experience with the passlock on these. He said he installed some remote starts on some of these GM vehicles with the passlock, but doesn't like to because eventually they screw up.

If I had another daily driver I would NOT have taken it in. I have been borrowing vehicles from family members all week, and we have some new alpacas coming to our farm so I have had to work on making a place for them, wouldn't have time to work on the truck anyways. Jeez what a mess.

4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If he properly repaired the wires to original config the relearn that jcat said should fix the issue. I see alot of this with the n bodies that have the independant ignition switch. With the relearn it doesnt matter if the new wire connections make more/ less resistance because the relearn saves the new resistance value. WCS you will need to replace the ignition lock and cylinder but that was about $120 on the n-body's / saturns but the column switch shouldnt be too far off.

5. FergusonT

He called today, said he needed to replace the ignition switch....Then later he says something about the ignition lock cylinder housing.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point I have so much other stuff going on I am really just taking myself out of the picture, I will report back here on everything that happens.

6. j cat

I think you took this to the wrong shop.

7. FergusonT

Thanks for the words of encouragement there J lol. Well they have done right with my families stuff, and I haven't actually taken a vehicle to a shop in years, this is one of the reasons why.

8. j cat

they maybe over there heads on this one, good luck !

9. FergusonT

Just got it back today. Replaced lock cylinder housing and soldered some wires into the ignition switch.

10. j cat

so the vehicle had a poorly installed remote start wiring job that caused the starting issue not the pass lock. with that mess up it does take longer to fix it up properly.

the lock cylinders do get damaged by worn keys.