1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'99 Silverado Random No Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Jan 29, 2013.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

So recently I just did a bunch of fuel system work on this 5.3 Silverado. Pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, map sensor. And it ran fine for a while but then it randomly just does not want to start. Usually after it has been sitting for at least a few hours.

One day my wife called, said it wouldn't start at the grocery store. I borrow a car and half way there she calls and says that it started.

It turns over fine and with starting fluid it will run long enough to burn the fluid.

One thing I haven't done yet is correctly solder the wires to the fuel pump. I just used the crimp connectors that came with the new harness. So that would be one guess. I did wrap it very well with heavy duty electrical tape though. I have a hole cut for access to the pump so I can get back in later to make the correct connections.

Also I have been getting codes the 2 obd codes that would indicate a vacuum leak. But usually the ses light only stays on for a few minutes before going away.

Any thoughts?
  2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

Definately a fuel prob, when it wont start find the test port on the rail and push the valve with a pen or something to see if there is any pressure. Prob the pump connections.
  3. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

I just made this interesting. As I was waiting for my ride I figured I would reseat the map sensor. It broke off into the manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

so who is gonna tell me about pulling the intake manifold. sounds like its just time consuming
  4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

The intake isnt too bad to do, hour job if you got the tools all set out. If you unbolt the throttle body you dont have to open the cooling system. Was yours the type on the back or the top?