1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 silverado transfer case problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Cj1976, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Cj1976

Cj1976 New Member

Hi I'm new to this forum and new to this truck. I have a 1999 with the 246 t case. I recently bought this truck for my 17 year old son and the 4 wheel drive will not engage. When I push the four wheel low or high button I can hear the actuator working and the light stays on but the front drive shaft is not turning. I jacked up the back of the truck to see if the front would engage and pull the truck but I got no movement of the drive shaft at all. I did hear and feel a clunking noise that seems to be coming from the transfer case. Is there Anything else that I should check before I buy and put in a new t case?
  2. Morpheus

Morpheus New Member

There have been a lot of known issues with the 246 transfer case. One of the first things you will want to do is check that there is oil in the case. One of the main problems is that a pin hole will develop in the case slowly leaking out the oil until it's dry. If there is not any oil, it's likely that it has leaked itself dry. Of course, we all know what no oil can do to gears, bearings, clutches, etc. I had that same issue with my transfer case in my 00 Sierra.