99 Sonoma runs for a few secs then dies

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by hummerman24, Mar 30, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. hummerman24

hummerman24 New Member

A while ago I bought a running 99 Sonoma with a 4.3 v6 engine in it. It ran great but then I discovered it had water running in it instead of antifreeze, so I immediately drained it and got ready to flush it, but didn't get around to finishing the job until two weeks later. When I tried to run some flush through the system, I found that the engine didn't start. The engine actually dieseled backwards for a few seconds when I attempted to start it. I thought that was odd because it had ran fine two weeks earlier. To make a long story short, I replaced the coil, then replaced the distributor. After I put the new distributor in, the engine actually turned over and ran for a few seconds. I did some research and found I probably had a fuel system issue, but then tested the pressure and found it was at a steady 60 psi. Right now I really don't have any idea what to do next. I don't think it's the timing chain because it starts and runs but I have no idea. If anyone has some tips, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh, One thing I forgot to mention is that the coil arcs after the engine dies but I have replaced the coil already.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have an orange spark instead of blue.
  2. Landascott3

Landascott3 New Member

Ignition control module