Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 suburban 4wd not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 6.5turbo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 6.5turbo

6.5turbo New Member

Hi, newbie here. Can't find this problem in any post.

I noticed this weekend that the front wheels on my suburban were not engaging when in 4 wheel drive. This unit has the push buttons on the dash which light up and show the proper selection. I lifted one front wheel, and when in 2 wheel, the drive shaft doesn't turn, but when in 4 wheel, it does, so I think the diff is fine. However there is no action in the front when driving in 4wd (rear wheels spin, but not front).

I hear the actuator on the transfer case work when shifting between 2 and 4 wheel drive. No trouble lights on. Some times there is a slight clunking sound in the transfer case when going in and out of 4wd.

Does this mean I should look for a rebuilt transfer case? Or could it just be the actuator that is the problem?

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

your auto lock hubs arnt well locking thats my best guess if the fron wheels arnt moving when in 4wd and axle and diff seem to work.

3. 6.5turbo

6.5turbo New Member

transfercase - definately

Called the dealer and talked to one of the mechanics. He said the cluches were out and recommended a rebuilt. Picked one up at ZBAG. 4 wheel drive works good again.