1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 Suburban 4x4 ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jsmith823, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jsmith823

jsmith823 New Member

I'm fixing to get a 99 Suburban that has a manual 4x4 transfer case. The manual says that n order to shift into or out of 4low I need to b moving at 1 2 3 mph. I did this and managed to get it into 4low, but had some trouble getting back into 2wd. I had to try twice to get it back. Is this normal? Is there a special trick to get it to shift easier? Can you do it while stopped? Sorry if I sound like i'm asking a lot of questions, but before I purchase this truck, I want to know if it's gonna screw me over :happy: Thanks
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

The easyest way to get back to 2wd is if u back up slow !!!!!!:glasses:
  3. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Welcome to the site.

I've always rolled real slow, put the tranny in nuetral, then shifted in/out of low, then the tranny back to drive gear. I haven't been in a situation, yet, where I HAD to put it in low. I've always had some lead time before I got to the muck.

Good luck,
  4. Project Reaper

Project Reaper New Member

manual in a 99? i tought they all went electronic after like 95 or so...
  5. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

I'm not sure when they switched. Mine is a base model, so it's floor shift, but the other models had buttons.

'lectric bad - vice grips good!:happy:
  6. KMKsilverado

KMKsilverado New Member

nuetral and than switch to 2wheel drive and reverse like 10 feet or so to get out of 4 wheel drive.
  7. chaxyunmamy

chaxyunmamy New Member

99 Suburban 4x4

Hello all, just brought home a 59 Suburban NAPCO 4X4 and am looking for parts to restore her. I need a front windshield and a rear bench seat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am having trouble finding info on these units... links would be appreciated as well...

Thanks,

Brett.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

On my 97 I use neutral then to shift then reverse for a few feet to let everything unbind.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Brett have you tried LMC truck yet?
    For some reason that year truck isnt a real popular rebuilder, most guys go for the earlier models, 56/57 or the early 50's and late 40's.
    The 59 Suburban was a good looking truck, a surviving NAPCO conversion is real rare.
    Good luck with your build, post some pics we'd love to see her.